Explore Au Train Michigan Recreation Area
In Michigan's Upper Peninsula the Au Train Recreation Area is located off Highway M-28 along the southern shores of Lake Superior between the City of Munising and the City of Marquette.
No matter what your favorite outdoor recreation activities may include, Au Train Michigan is your destination for family vacation fun and excitement.
The area is rich in natural resources and the perfect area for a quiet and peaceful vacation get-away for the entire family. Enjoy Au Train, Michigan in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
The Au Train Recreation Area offers four seasons of outdoor excitement. You'll never experience a dull minute of outdoor fun and enjoyment around each and every corner you turn.
And, if you happen to be an avid bird watcher for example, the Au Train Recreation Area offers an elaborate, self interpreted Songbird trail.
Au Train Camping
Au Train Lake is the largest inland lake in the area. It is an 830-acre lake with a maximum depth of 30 ft. and an average depth of 12 ft. The Au Train Campground has 37 large, wooded, campsites with tables and fireplaces. Drinking water and toilets are conveniently spaced throughout the campground.
Au Train Fishing
If you're into Michigan fishing, Au Train Lake offers up some nice bluegill, yellow perch and walleye fishing. There are also a few secluded brook trout streams in the area that'll grab you, hook line and sinker to return again and again.
If you're looking for Lake Superior Charter fishing, Au Train has that as well. Everything you need to experience a great Michigan Upper Peninsula fishing journey is at your disposal.
The Au Train Recreation Provides:
- Au Train Song Bird Trail
- Au Train Lake, Lake Superior, Au Train River and Au Train Basin
- Miles of Sandy Beaches & Sand Dunes
- Modern Cottage Rentals and Bed & Breakfast Facilities on either Au Train Lake, Au Train River or Lake Superior
- The Hiawatha National Forest Campground on Au Train Lake with swimming area and picnic grounds
- State Forest Campground at Au Train Basin
- Numerous marked and intersecting Hiking Trails
- Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Gift Shops, Lake Superior Charter Fishing Trips, Motels, and Resorts are all available to serve you. Canoe and Bicycle Rentals are available as well
- Many Historical Sites and Attractions within the area
- Only twelve miles west of Munising or thirty miles east of Marquette
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Grand Island National Recreation Area, Hiawatha National Forest are only minutes away with tours and cruises available
- Heading west you might like to visit the Olympic Training Center in Marquette
- Shipwreck diving in the Alger Underwater Preserve is said to be the clearest and best of anywhere in the country
I am the heat of your hearth on cold winders nights,
The shade screening your from the summer sun,
And my fruits are refreshing draughts,
Quenching your thirst as you journey on.
I am the beam that holds your house,
The board of your table,
The bed on which you lie,
and the timber that builds your boat.
I am the handle of your hoe,
The door of your homestead,
The wood of your cradle,
and the shell of your coffin.
You who pass me by,
Listen to my prayer,
And harm me not.
Ancient Portuguese Verse